This entry was posted on October 5, 2016.
Veggie Sushi Bowls
Rice and seasonings:
- 2 cups white jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 1 (8 by 8-inch) sheet GF/organic dried nori
- 3 tablespoons GF/organic rice vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons reduced-sodium/GF organic tamari
- 1 tablespoon GF/organic agave nectar
- ½ teaspoon salt
Spicy mayo sauce:
- ⅓ cup GF/organic Veganaise or Sir Kensington’s mayonnaise
- 1 to 2 tablespoons GF/organic Sriracha or chili-garlic sauce, to taste
- 2 cups frozen organic edamame
- 2 large organic carrots, sliced into ribbons with a vegetable peeler
- 1 organic avocado, sliced into long strips
- 1 small organic English cucumber
- Recommended garnishes: organic sesame seeds (preferably black) and organic/GF pickled ginger
- Cook the rice in a rice cooker.
- To prepare the rice seasoning: In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the rice vinegar, tamari, agave nectar and salt. Warm the mixture, stirring often, until the sugar dissolves. Remove from heat and toss with rice once it’s done steaming.
- To toast the nori: In a large skillet over medium heat, warm the sheet of nori until it’s become crisp enough to crumble easily, flipping halfway, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and tear it into quarters. Crumble each piece into very small pieces in your hands over the rice and drop it into the pot. Stir the nori into the rice and set the rice aside to cool.
- To cook the edamame: Bring a pot of water to boil, then add the frozen edamame and simmer just until the beans are warmed through, about 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- To prepare the spicy mayo sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise and sriracha in a small bowl until well blended. Add more sriracha if you’d like a spicier sauce.
- To prepare the cucumber, slice it in half lengthwise. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard them. Then slice the halves into 2-inch long pieces and slice them into matchsticks.
- Divide the rice between four bowls. Top with edamame, carrots, avocado and cucumber. Drizzle chili-mayo sauce on top, sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve with pickled ginger on the side.