This entry was posted on October 5, 2016.
Turkey Enchilada Casserole
- 1 pound organic/free range lean ground turkey
- 1 medium organic red/orange/yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium organic onion, chopped
- 3 organic garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 jar (16 ounces) organic/GF salsa
- 1 can (15 ounces) organic/GF tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) organic/GF Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon each organic onion powder, garlic powder and ground cumin
- 12 organic/GF corn tortillas (6 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) organic shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese, divided
In a large nonstick saucepan coated with cooking spray, cook turkey, green pepper and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain.
Stir in beans, salsa, tomato sauce, tomatoes, onion powder, garlic powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350°. Spread 1 cup meat sauce into a 13x9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with six tortillas. Spread with half the remaining meat sauce; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese. Layer with remaining tortillas and meat sauce.
Cover and bake 20 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 10 servings.